Château des Fougis is a private property that has been acquired by the German artist Erich Engelbrecht and his family since 2001. The owners live there throughout the whole year.
The property consists of
- A 16th century castle built of red and black brick and representative of the traditional architectural styles of the Allier region
- Within the castle, single-family homes, art galleries, courtyards, and gardens – amoungst others “The Wondrous Garden of Eric Engelbrecht” with an outdoor exhibition of 28 huge steel-sculptures.
The majority of Erich Engelbrecht’s artistic works were created at Les Fougis as a part of the principal sculptural project of his later life. The breathtaking works, sculptures towering 10 meters into the air and weighing upwards of 100 tons, are spread throughout the rolling fields of the dream-like property. The monumental steel sculptures surrounding the castle draw the attention and curiosity of people passing by on the pleasant country road.
- You’ll find as well three additional historical houses for guests and the groundskeepers
- A traditional building for public events and receptions hosts inside up to 80 people
- The buildings are surrounded by 138 hectares of farmland, several fish ponds, gravel roads, and walking trails through the forests